As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.And this picture went around the world and meant a Pullitzer in 1994 to the author who was able to capture this fragment of time., who set the framework for this harsh reality.That essence that hurts and hurts, but somehow, we have also normalized on the screens of our televisions.
A picture is worth a thousand words.But, What happens when those words become wrong darts and end up creating a story that is not entirely true? Kevin Carter, the photographer who traveled to the Sudanese village of Ayod to denounce the famine of this country, ended up taking his own life a year after capturing this image.
We invite you to know the two stories that weave this shocking photography.
And then, Kevin Carter...did you help the girl?
Sometimes the legends dress in the blackest veil: that of drama and tragedy.And this is what, in a way, happened to Kevin Carter .This South African graphic reporter already had a lot filming in this type of context.He had gained some popularity when photographing the war revolts in Soweto, near Johannesburg in the 80s, but I never expected what that trip to a small village of Ayod, was going to bring in 1993.
Sudan was at war and plagued by a terrible famine that every day, took the lives of hundreds of people.Especially children.Just when Carter is Aba about to leave that town, he saw an image that quickly caught his attention.He was a very small, very fragile and malnourished creature that had come out to do his needs.Behind her, there was a great vulture , expectant.He took the picture and simply left.
It was an almost brutal metaphor for that situation.Two terrifying symbols of the humanitarian catastrophe that was lived in the Sudan of those years.Kevin Carter knew that that picture was good, that it was important, so I immediately sent it to the 'The New York Times'. Two days later, the impact of it was unstoppable.
Many saw in it the symbol of capitalism and that third world about to be devoured.Carter, meanwhile, was worth the Pullitzer the following year.But other things also came to him.attacks and contempt.He was said to be the second vulture of that scene.The soulless monster here she photographs for not having done anything to help the creature.
It is true that, in a way, it was Carter himself who fed that idea, since when he received the prize, his words were as follows : "It's the most important photo of my career, but I'm not proud of her, I don't even want to see her, I hate her. I'm still sorry I didn't help the girl." So much so, that two months later he would end up taking his own life.He was 33 years old.And despite the fact that many talked about his strong addiction to marijuana or barbiturates, the simple reality is that he could no longer with the pressure or with the critics.

Nor with the death of one of his best friends, Ken Oosterbroek, another photographer who was killed while covering a story in Johannesburg.He took his life just or on the bank of a river where he played as a child.He put a hose in the exhaust pipe of his car, then put it through the window.Sleeping a quiet dream from which he never woke up, leaving a note for everyone who I would like to understand why I was doing that:
«I am tormented by the memories of the murders and the corpses, by the anger and the pain.To see the children starve to death.of easy trigger, often of the police, of the murderers and the executioners.I have gone to join with Ken, if I am lucky.»
Comments
Post a Comment